Sunday, December 28, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008 - Part III

#4 - Narrow Stairs by Death Cab For Cutie



Death Cab tricked me on this one. I got the cd and listened to about half of it, and didn't like it. So i didn't bother with it for probably over a month. Then I really got into their previous release, Plans, and decided I wanted more. So I gave Narrow Stairs another shot. Not expecting much, I was blown away. This was good, at least as good as Plans, maybe better, but still maybe not. But nonetheless, it was good, and new, and Death Cab for sure. Great band, great album.

#3 - New Surrender by Anberlin



Surprise surprise, Anberlin in my top 10. If you know me, it is a surprise that they're not number 1, or even number 2 for that matter. Although they are and have been my favorite band for a while, New Surrender wasn't the best album I heard this year. It's really good, and some of the songs are great, but at the same time it was slightly disappointing. I had such high hopes for my favorite band's new cd, maybe too high though. Personally, I think the switch to a major label did nothing for them besides publicity. Great music, the best live show I've ever seen, but not quite enough for number one this year.

#2 - You Are My Sunshine by Copeland



Actual surprise here, a band I've liked for quite a while got signed to my favorite record label. Copeland + Tooth & Nail = great music. Aaron Marsh's vocals continue to provide tension and beauty as always, and the addition of Rae Cassidy on a track or 2 was a much appreciated move. And the music behind the voices proved to be Copeland's best yet, melodic, smooth, tense, raw, everything that needs to be behind Marsh's falsetto. This is what I was waiting for from Copeland.

2 comments:

  1. Arch, you're killing me with suspence. I've been wondering when Anberlin would appear in this top ten, and I'll admit that I am surprized to see it below number one. But anyway, what the heck is number one?! haha. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete